Saturday, November 3, 2012

Christmas Wishes

I want to see twinkles and sparkles and snowflakes.

I want to smell fir trees and clove and peppermint.

I want to hear Nat and Ella and Bing.

I want to taste hot cocoa and Danish butter cookies and akvavit.

I want to feel crushed velvet and filbert nutshells and warm fuzzy blankets.



To me, the Christmas Experience feels like falling in love. When I see beautiful Christmas decorations or hear my favorite carols, I am instantly euphoric—so much so that I usually begin to cry.

I wish it wasn't so commercialized and I wish it was religion-neutral* and I wish it wasn't such a sad time for so many people.

The strange thing is... I don't know why I've always loved Christmas so much. To me, it's never been about the presents (of course, I don't refuse them if they are offered, but that goes for any time of year ;) ) and it's certainly never been about Baby Jesus and it's never really been about Santa Claus either (although I do have a soft spot for Santa Mouse).

One of my favorite Christmastime memories is of sneaking over to the tree when everyone else was asleep, turning on the twinkle-lights, finding my favorite ornament (it was shimmery light blue and had the words "O Come All Ye Faithful" on it), and looking at it while softly singing carols in the glow of the blinking, colored lights.


What part(s) of Christmas do you love?
Or, if you don't like Christmas, what makes YOU feel this happy?



*Yes, I realize it is named after Jesus Christ and that there are other, older names for it; Christmas is just the name I'm used to and it would feel weird to call it anything but.

1 comment:

  1. You make me feel that happy...the absolute truth.

    My favorite part of Christmas is...sharing. Sharing the season...the fun...treats...the atmosphere...the feeling.

    I also really, really like Christmas Tree Ornaments. I like the way they hang just so on just the right branch on just the right part of the tree. I am very particular about this. I think of ornaments in categories...such as; style, theme, shape, material, color, era, etc.

    I also like stockings...a lot more than actual presents - please don't tell!

    I love the sound of Ella Fitzgerald singing a Christmas Song.

    I used to like going to the city to watch people shop. In my mid it was not commercial...it was like watching a scene in a nostalgic Christmas movie.

    I like watching A Christmas Story and other old favorites.

    I like the crunch of snow under my feet. I miss being a kid and going hunting for the perfect tree out in the woods.

    I like being inside and warm with hot chocolate and looking out the window at the cold outside...and wondering what others are doing for their holidays.

    I like cuddling under a blanket, looking at the tree in all its sparkly brilliance while listening to Holiday Music.

    I like sharing.

    ReplyDelete