Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Down the rabbit hole...

It's ironic that I was just telling a client earlier today that, because I grew up in the valley, I miss the rain.
I suppose it's a little ironic because it started raining pretty much right after that and has yet to stop...
But it's really ironic because when I got off work and had to walk to the car in the rain, I was all whiny about it. :P
-------r---a---i---n-------
I was just thinking about that line in V For Vendetta, "God is in the rain." I was trying to imagine how somebody would feel that way. I guess in that context, from somebody held captive and tortured and such, feeling rain on your face would probably be pretty dang euphoric.
---------g---o---d---------
Then I thought about The DaVinci Code (because I just watched it) and how the Pagans "found God through sex". That one I can understand a bit more. There are all kinds of hormones and neurotransmitters released during sex, which I'm sure did (and still does for some people) feel like enlightenment, or a sense of connection to another realm, or what have you... Is that why it's sometimes referred to as "mind-blowing", I wonder?
Where else do people "find God"?
I feel like I find God a little in everything. I find God in music. I find God in good food. I find God in nature. I find God in a good healthy cry. I find God in beauty. I find God in dreams. I find God in animals. I find God in you. I find God in me.
---r--e--l--i--g--i--o--n---
I never felt like I found God in church. The fear of God, yes. God him/her/itself, no. It always seemed... off. Contrived, maybe? I loved church—the beautiful architecture and stained glass, the hymns, the rituals—but I didn't learn real spirituality there. What I was told to believe in church just never struck my heart as Truth. I went on a quest to find something I could fully believe in. I read various "holy books"—the Tao Te Ching, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, the Book of Mormon, and of course the Bible, which I was the most acquainted with. The funny thing was... they all basically said the same thing. The stories were different, sure, but the message was uniform. I decided to strip down my beliefs and labels and start over. I asked myself the huge questions: Do I have a soul? Is there really right and wrong? Is there a god or universal power? What happens when I die?
When I figured out what felt true to me, I tried to find where I fit. The only label that fit me was "Unitarian Universalist"... because all beliefs are welcome there.
Isn't that how it should be? I can't help that my heart didn't believe the Christian teachings; it couldn't. It just wasn't right for me. I recognize that it is right for some, though, so I never try to tell someone (of any belief) that they are wrong. I often think of it like a food allergy... I may love sushi, but if you're allergic to fish, you aren't going to love sushi no matter how delicious I think it is. And I should NOT shove it down your throat. I say, everyone finds God in their own way and we can all celebrate and share together.

These stream-of-consciousness musings brought to you by the letter: sleepy.
That's right.

P.S. Apparently there were bomb threats made simultaneously all over Oregon today. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment